New Canaan Public Schools
Recent Highlights: 2012-2013
We are immensely proud of our students, our teachers and our administrators, and rightly so, as our district has achieved a high standard of excellence through industry, innovation, and a commitment to building character. Whether in the classroom, on the stage, across the playing fields, or throughout the community, the results have borne considerable fruit.
To note some recent highlights:
- In 2012, New Canaan was the highest performing school district in the State of Connecticut based on the frequency of top-tier performances on the Connecticut Mastery Tests (CMT, 3rd - 8th grade), and the Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT, 10th graders).
- In 2012, the total SAT score (verbal, math and writing) was 1795, the second highest in Connecticut.
- In support of our goal of preparing all students to be global citizens, New Canaan offers world language instruction on a K-12 basis.
- Twenty-five students in the New Canaan High School Class of 2012 were National Merit Commended Scholars; nine students were National Merit Finalists.
- The April 2011 edition of Forbes Magazine rated New Canaan as the second-ranked school district in the United States for home value in communities with a median home price of $800,000 or more.
- 35% of New Canaan High School graduates who enrolled in college in the fall of 2012 did so at a college designated "Most Competitive;" 25% "Highly Competitive;" and 22% "Very Competitive."
- The New Canaan High School library has received the National School Library Program of the Year award and was designated Connecticut’s Outstanding School Library in 2011.
- The 2011 NCHS theatrical production of The Secret Garden received the New England Theatre Conference’s Moss Hart Award for Best Secondary Production in New England.
- In 2012, for the third year in a row and the fourth time in the past five years, our athletic department was awarded the prestigious Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference (FCIAC) cup.
While significant, the many accomplishments, awards and recognitions that New Canaan Public Schools has received do not tell the whole story of the district. We aim to build the “character, competence and courage” in our students to enable them to change the world. We believe that this is possible in a rigorous learning environment that is responsive, caring and fosters the highest degree of respect among students, teachers and community members.