New Canaan Public Schools
District goals and student performance data inform the development of school, department and individual annual growth plans which are finalized at the beginning of each school year. Annual objectives establish priorities for the upcoming year. In addition, they guide resource allocation and decision making.
Goal 1. Increase student achievement as measured by multiple and varied assessments.
1. Continue to progress toward the long term goal of all students graduating from NCHS proficient in a second language as measured by district assessments and American Council of Teachers of Foreign Language (ACTFL) standards:
i. Implement Year 1 of the Chinese program at Saxe.
ii. Continue to update curriculum in response to implementation of FLES and to incorporate Common Core and national assessment standards.
iii. Analyze and present 2013 year-end student participation, proficiency, and perception data for world language students in grades 4-12.
2. Update curriculum, instruction and assessments to reflect Common Core State Standards and expectations and in preparation for next generation state assessments for 2012-13:
i. Create performance assessments and rubrics that focus on higher order thinking and complex, novel problem solving.
ii. Incorporate student reflection and self -assessment as regular parts of the instructional process.
iii. Competencies required for on line assessment will be incorporated into instruction as preparation for next generation assessments, slated to begin in 2015.
3. In order to ensure students meet grade level standards and behavioral expectations, implement Response to Intervention (RTI) at all schools as defined by the NCPS Guidebook:
i. Continue to train resource specialists and teachers on the protocols and research based interventions.
ii. Study the use of research based systems such as Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports to address the behavioral aspects of RTI.
4. K-12 Science Program will complete Year 1 of the two-year Tristate follow up:
i. The K-12 Science Framework will be developed and applied to course and unit updates.
ii. The district STEM study team will develop a district approach and implementation plan, including, as appropriate, recommendations to the BOE in time for the 2013-14 budget cycle.
5. Implement Year 2 phase of Social Studies curriculum update:
i. Provide staff with ongoing professional development and coaching.
ii. Identify points of integration with the Common Core and with other disciplines and incorporate these into curriculum units and resource libraries.
6. All students will perform at or above goal level on state standards:
i. The percent of students meeting or exceeding goal on state assessments will meet or exceed 90%.
ii. Each student will demonstrate continuous progress on an annual basis as measured by standards based assessments and district benchmarks.
7. All students will meet NCHS graduation standards which include the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in a complex and global society.
8. Increase opportunities for students to participate in advanced placement and other college credit courses.
9. Expand learning opportunities through use of hybrid and on line learning.
Goal 2. Improve achievement, service, and relationships through communication
that is responsive, clear, timely and inclusive.
Goal 3. Promote and support innovative and exemplary research-based professional practices.
i. Provide ongoing training for the administrators and faculty in order to enhance and extend their professional knowledge and practice relative to the Effective Teaching Framework and the Professional Growth Plan Process.
i. Regularly and collaboratively analyzing student work and performance data to inform instructional and organizational planning, including use of the data warehouse tools (Cognos).
ii. Studying and documenting application of research-based instructional practices associated with differentiated classroom instruction, intervention and special education and services.
iii. Pursuing action research in the study and analysis of innovative practices and approaches.
Goal 4. Promote an environment that fosters respect, ethical behavior and responsible global citizenship.
i. Establish and train the Respectful School Climate Coordinator, Specialists and Teams.
ii. Provide for more expansive involvement for all school community members to contribute to positive school climate initiatives.
iii. Establish data systems connected to Cognos in support of School Climate Plan.
i. Document integration of the new K-12 SAPL frame work in school rules and curriculum units.
ii. Implement State mandated 6-12 Student Success Plans, including use of Naviance.
Goal 5: Maintain the effective stewardship of district resources and physical assets in a manner that supports safe and healthy environments and optimizes student learning.
i. Update the budget reporting format using current principles and best practice standards for educational budgets.
ii. Develop and implement a budget communication plan.